How to Prevent Cat & Dog Poisoning

Cats and dogs both are curious creatures. They’ll sniff unfamiliar things, paw at them, and even take a bite! Unfortunately, some common household items, human foods, and plants are seriously toxic to our pets. If they do explore with their mouths, they could potentially ingest something poisonous! To help reduce the likelihood of cat or dog poisoning, we’ve come up with info on what’s toxic as well as tips for prevention!

Preventing Cat & Dog Poisoning in Newport News: A Cat Looking at Green Grapes

What's Toxic to Cats & Dogs?

  • Household cleaners – Surprisingly, many household cleaners are not particularly dangerous to your pet, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t keep them away! Depending on the ingredients of a particular cleaner, ingestion can be more or less serious for your pet.
  • Human medications – Never give your pet medications without the consent of your veterinarian! Many human medications can cause serious side effects that can put your pet’s life at risk.
  • Certain plants – Autumn crocus, azalea, daffodils, hyacinth, lilies, sago palms, and tulips are all poisonous if ingested! Lilies are especially dangerous to cats and can cause kidney failure.
  • Fertilizers – Some fertilizers are made from bone or blood meal and so are particularly appealing to pets. Yet, ingestion can cause pancreatitis or even a blockage in the intestines. Others, such as rose and flower fertilizers, contain deadly chemicals.
  • Foods – chocolate, grapes and raisins, onions and garlic, as well as xylitol, a sugar substitute, are all highly toxic to our companions.

Tips for Preventing Cat & Dog Poisoning

  • Keep cats and dogs out of the room while you’re cleaning. Even if the cleaner is not particularly toxic, it’s a good idea to limit your pet’s exposure to it.
  • Make sure your medications are in tightly sealed containers and, for added security, place them in cabinets that are unreachable or impossible to get open.
  • When planning your garden, be sure to choose pet-safe plants, or make sure your pet has no access to an area with a toxic plant. It’s best to avoid bringing poisonous plants into your home, but if you must, choose fake varieties!
  • When using lawn or plant fertilizer, keep your pet out of the area, and make sure to follow directions for applying the fertilizer. Do not allow your pet into the fertilized area until it’s safe.
  • It’s best to not share any human food with your pet. Make sure all dropped food is picked up and that any guests know not to share their meals with your pet, no matter how desperate they look!
Preventing Cat & Dog Poisoning in Newport News: A White Dog Staring at Macarons

What to Do if Your Pet Ate Something Toxic

Call us immediately during our regular hours at (757) 877-6464 if your pet ate something toxic. If we are closed, you can call the Pet Poison Helpline at (855) 764-7661 for expert advice about pet poisons and guidance for what to do next.